Aaron Dean, the Fort Worth police officer who shot and killed 28-year old Atatiana Jefferson through a window in her home, has been arrested, charged with murder, and released on bond, hours after resigning from the police department. On October 12th, a concerned neighbor called the Fort Worth police department’s non-emergency line to conduct a welfare check on his neighbor, Jefferson; the front door to her residence was open. Law enforcement officials promptly showed up and proceeded to surround the home without announcing their presence. After entering the backyard, Dean fired his weapon through a window, subsequently killing Jefferson who was in her bedroom playing video games with her nephew. The murder of Atatiana Jefferson is being compared to the murder of Botham Jean, who was also killed by a police officer in his home in 2018. Both of these incidents have sparked public outrage and shaken the community whose distrust of law enforcement continues to grow. The issues regarding police use of force, racial profiling, and inadequate training are likely to be at the forefront of this case.
Instructors, click on the link below to download this week’s lecture for use in your classroom.
The deck contains a writing prompt, a debate question, as well as other assessment questions.
Download the PowerPoint Lecture Spark for Fort Worth Police Officer Who Shot Woman Through Her Window Charged With Murder
· “Fort Worth officer charged with murder in killing of black woman in her home.”
· Deaths of Atatiana Jefferson, Botham Jean show how police training emphasizes danger to cops over community.
· “Fort Worth police chief: ‘Absolutely no excuse’ for Aaron Dean to shoot Atatiana Jefferson in her home.”
· “Retired Fort Worth Cop: “I’m afraid when I get stopped.”
- Writing: How has Atatiana Jefferson’s murder eroded the trust the Fort Worth Police Department had with its community?
- Debate: Atatiana Jefferson’s murder is considered to be a civil rights violation.
- Poll: Do you believe that Aaron Dean had a justification for shooting Atatiana Jefferson through the window of her home?
- Short Answer: Why is Atatiana Jefferson’s murder being compared to Botham Jean’s murder?
Current Events Quiz
1.) Aaron Dean was charged with
a. Justifiable homicide
d. involuntary manslaughter
2.) Fort Worth Police Chief Ed Kraus stated that Dean would have been fired for failing to following department policies on
a. use of force
c. unprofessional conduct
d. all of these
3.) According to the Fort-Worth Star-Telegram, Atatiana Jefferson’s shooting is the _____ local police shooting involving a civilian since June 1st.
4.) Dean identified himself as a police officer as he walked around Jefferson’s home. (T/F)
5.) The deadly encounter was not caught on Dean’s body camera. (T/F)
6.) Dean resigned from the Fort Worth Police Department hours before being charged with murder. (T/F)
Featured Image: Tarrant County Sheriffs Office