Joshua Brown, the 28-year old, man who testified at Amber Guyger’s murder trial was shot and killed outside of his apartment days after he delivered his testimony. News reports state that Brown reluctantly testified and that he was shaken after the murder of his neighbor, Botham Jean. Brown shared important details regarding the murder of Botham Jean, stating at one point that he did not hear Guyger make any commands before hearing gun shots. The Dallas Police Department has yet to make any arrests in Brown’s death, and the authorities have not stated whether they believe whether his death was a result of his testimony at Guyger’s trial.
Update: Three suspects have been identified and arrested in relation to Joshua Brown’s murder. Dallas Police believe that Brown was shot and killed in a drug deal gone wrong.
Instructors, click on the link below to download this week’s lecture for use in your classroom.
The deck contains a writing prompt, a debate question, as well as other assessment questions.
- Writing: Why was Joshua Brown’s testimony important to the Amber Guyger murder case?
- Debate: Joshua Brown did the right thing in testifying, despite being reluctant.
- Poll: Do you believe that witnesses at trials should be provided with protection, especially in cases that have received national attention?
- Short Answer: Why do you think Joshua Brown was reluctant in testifying?
Current Events Quiz
1.) Joshua Brown was Botham Jean’s
2.) Joshua Brown had previously been a victim of
a. domestic violence.
b. gun violence.
c. sexual assault.
d. aggravated assault.
3. According to the Dallas Police Department, Joshua Brown was killed in the commission of which of the following crimes?
c. Drug deal
4. Authorities have made a connection between Joshua Brown’s death and his testimony at Amber Guyger’s trial. (T/F)
5. According to Joshua Brown’s testimony, he did not hear Amber Guyger make any commands before firing her gun. (T/F)
6. Joshua Brown’s testified willingly at Amber Guyger’s trial. (T/F)
Featured Image: iStock.com/aerogondo